Thursday, November 22, 2012

Giving Thanks

I was the first one to wake up on this cold Thursday morning, Thanksgiving Day. I am thankful for a quiet morning. I set up the coffee maker and fed Bailey. I am thankful that this dog is healthy and does not like to eat socks. I let Bailey outside and noticed all the cars parked in my neighbors' driveways. I am thankful that I don't have to cook today and that I love my in-laws who invited us to their Thanksgiving dinner. I stepped on a toy in the living room. I am thankful that no one is visiting our house so it doesn't matter what it looks like today. I am also thankful that I stepped on a soft toy and not a Leggo.

My daughters wake up. Within minutes, they are arguing over cartoons and who gets the warm blanket this time. I am thankful that my kids don't know many struggles beyond sibling disagreements. I am thankful that they are allowed to be children. There are too many children who have to deal with scary, painful, heavy, lonely situations that force them to grow up fast and become hard.

My kids: What do we do on Thanksgiving?
Me: Well, we make a big feast and spend time together as a family and be thankful for everythi...
My Kids: So we just eat all day?!

I am thankful that we will just eat all day. 

Me: Why don't you make a list of all the things for which you are thankful...

S (age: almost 7) is thankful for:

Mom
Dad
Food
B, my sister
Puppies
Santa Claus
The ocean
America
Sunshine
The Earth
Technology
Love
Water
Friends
Heros
Ukuleles
Rainbows
Books
My grandparents
My aunts and uncles
My cousins
Bees
Mrs. Stuffy (her stuffed bear)

B (age: 3 1/2) is thankful for:

Green lollipops
Popcorn
Playing Mario Bros. on the old Nintendo with S
Bailey
My sister
My blue blankie that S can't have
Water to drink
Playing pre-school games on the computer
That I get to go to school soon
Balloons... Can I have a balloon, mama? I really want a balloon!

I am thankful for my funny kids. I have no idea why S is thankful for a ukulele...

The Hub is thankful for:

Healthy family
A wonderful (super hot) wife(!)
My freakin' job
Local breweries
My garden
Thai food
That UGA is ranked #3 at the moment and has a chance to play in the BCS championship game for the first time since 1980. GO DAWGS!

I am also thankful for:

The Hub (my super hot best friend)
The kids
My parents
My extended family and friends
My ability to laugh and make others laugh
Strong coffee
Under eye concealer
Beer
Yoga pants
For always having a story to tell
New adventures

Happy Thanksgiving to you all! I am thankful that you read my blog!


Do not copy or use without written permission.
I am thankful for my little sisters!
... and my keen fashion sense.
Photo credit: Edward Pauksta 11/1984

4 comments:

  1. I am thankful you write this blog and make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anon,
      I am thankful that you read my blog! You rule!
      Love,
      Terese

      Delete
  2. I am thankful that you write these blogs, that you are kind, loving, beautiful and the mother of two of the sweetest girls.
    I love you for being you and for loving me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anon,
      Oh my! Thank you so much for that lovely comment! It made my day! Thank you for being you and all the super wonderful that comes along with it!
      Love you back!
      Terese

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you thought of this post. Leaving a comment for a blogger is like tossing a buck in a tip jar.